Cleaning and Disinfecting Current Designs Equipment
The basic steps to disinfect our devices are the same for the optical devices (response devices and removable bundles) and for the electronic devices (interface units and trainers).
Please follow these guidelines:
- use standard hospital grade alcohol prep pads
- example: MEDca alcohol prep pads
- pads should be moist but not dripping alcohol
- gently wipe external surfaces of devices only
- do not press buttons down while wiping them: this can make it easier for alcohol to flow inside
- keep alcohol from entering devices
If alcohol gets inside the optical devices (response devices, removable bundles) it can quickly damage them. Alcohol causes plastic optical fiber to "craze" so the optical fibers will need to be replaced -- this is an expensive repair that is easily avoided by making sure no alcohol enters the devices.
As one example, this image (of the HHSC-1x4-D response device) shows areas in magenta where extra care should be exercised to keep alcohol from entering the device internally:
Please contact us if you have any questions about this.